Monday, June 7, 2010

RIP Boots

Today, June 7, 2010, turned out to be a sad one . . . .after 12-1/2 years keeping my dad company, after the death of my mother, old Boots had to be put to sleep. It turned out that even with such great care by a man who was faithful to his companion (both human and 4-legged) you can't stop cancer. Turns out that Boots had a cancerous tumor most likely from his kidney with involvement of his liver that was bleeding into his belly.

For all the times that dog barked and didn't listen and the many "I hate that dog" remarks, there is a sadness in my heart for my dad . . . his companion for 12-1/2 years, a present from my kids to their grandfather to keep him company when they knew the end was near for my mother, a dog that was catered to hand and foot (or should I say, hand and paw), and an ever present being that seemed to know how to wrap his little paw around his master's finger. Eating cheerios out of his owner's hand was not an odd thing to see. He even ordered egg-drop soup for him last night, because he knew that his Boots loved it.

RIP in old dog . . . no more suffering. Tis a season for everything; a season to be born and a season to die . . . may you roam and bark happily in your new home!

No comments:

Post a Comment