Sunday, July 11, 2010

Changing Directions


On Thursday, I went for a job interview. I think it went well, but won't know for another 1-1/2 weeks. Another step out of my comfort zone. I have worked from my house now since September 1997. Thirteen years. Comfort zone. No special work clothes, no extra gas getting to work, no calling out sick. I was able to wear what I wanted, which most of the time was shorts in the summer, sweatpants in the winter, t-shirts, sweatshirts, slippers, or no shoes at all (but didn't like the latter . . . don't like the feel of my bare foot on the foot pedal). So, when I figured it out that there would not be a whole lot of transcription work for me this summer due to the lack of somebody not being able to tell me to my face that she doesn't need my services, I did something out of the ordinary. I checked the the local school district's want-ads. I qualified for 2 of the jobs posted. Well, this is definitely out of my comfort zone now because if I do get the job, I will be dealing with more people in person and on the phone than I have ever done before in my life.

But, I think i can do it. No, I know I can do it. Just a little confidence in myself.

Now trying to justify this is the fact that I do need the money. You see my money paid for the cars (my little gifts to me and the DH) and for other little things that I wanted such as my photography equipment. Not having the extra money this summer has brought some changes in my way of thinking. I don't go out on a whim just to go to the store and buy something. I do give it more than a passing thought!

At the end of August, I will mark my 53rd birthday and since I am now at this fork in the road, I am not going to turn around and hide, but rather embrace this new challenge and learn something new. Changing directions from transcription to school secretary, now that is a big change, one which, if the job does become mine, will be done with the same enthusiasm I put into 34 years of transcription!!!!

jg

No comments:

Post a Comment